Can you imagine a simple onion becoming this beautiful dish? How many recipes can you make using 3 ingredients that tastes like a dish from a gourmet restaurant and takes only minutes to assemble before popping into the oven. While it bakes in the oven you can make a nice steak to go with this amazing side dish. When you unwrap the onion it will look like a beautiful flower and wait til you taste it! You'd think you're eating french onion soup!
- One large onion, per person (preferable sweet vidalia or yellow variety)
- 1 Tablespoon butter cut into slivers
- 1 beef bouillon cube per onion (I use 1 teaspoon of Better Than Beef Bouillon in a jar)
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the top of each onion off (not the stem/root end).
- Carefully peel the onion without removing the root, this is to keep the onion held together.
- With a sharp paring knife, carefully cut a small cone-shaped section from top of the onion.
- Next, partially cut the onion into quarters stopping 1/2 inch from the root, so the onion stays together.
- Place one bouillon cube or 1 teaspoon of better than bouillon in the center where you cut out the cone-shape.
- Place a sliver of butter between the layers of onions.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Wrap each onion in foil tightly so the yummy juices won't escape while the onions cook.
- Place in a baking dish and bake for 45 minutes.
- Serve in individual bowls if desired. We just ate our onion out of the small dish I baked it in.
Psalm 34:8 Taste and see that the LORD is good. Blessed is the person who takes refuge in him.