Updated: Aug 25, 2020
Whether you are a lover of blue cheese (I TOTALLY AM) or not, this dressing is seriously a treat for any Wedge Salad or Heart of Romaine. Once you make this super simple and incredibly delicious dressing, you will never want to buy the bottled version again. My husband and son have enjoyed this dressing for over 12 years and they literally lick their plates...it's that good! I love to make it in the summer-time when we can grill this underestimated Heart of Romaine. If you haven't tried grilled Romaine, you should! It takes the average salad to a whole new level! The Romaine gets slightly charred and wilted and takes on a new smokey flavor that goes perfectly with this blue cheese dressing.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk (I use 1% but you could use whatever you have on hand)
- 6 oz blue cheese (crumbled) plus more for garnish on finished salad
- 1.5 Tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 1 clove crushed or minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon of fresh cracked pepper or more to taste
- In a medium bowl combine all the ingredients and mix to combine. Let sit for an hour before serving to let the flavors marry.
For Grilled Hearts of Romaine:
- Wash and dry the Romaine.
- Cut the Romaine in half lengthwise.
- Drizzle 1/2 Tablespoon of olive oil over each cut side of Romaine.
- Sprinkle the cut side with kosher salt and fresh pepper.
- Place on hot grill cut side down for 2-3 minutes or until grill marks form
- Arrange on platter cut side up for presentation.
- Dress with blue cheese dressing, optional extra blue cheese crumbles and more fresh cracked pepper.
For a Wedge Salad:
- Wash and dry a head of iceberg lettuce.
- Cut the lettuce into 4wedges.
- Dress with blue cheese dressing, extra blue cheese crumbles, chopped bacon pieces, diced tomatoes, chopped red onion and freshly cracked pepper.
This dressing will keep for 10 days in the refrigerator....if it lasts that long. You can enjoy it as a dip with carrot sticks, celery, snap peas...come to think of it any veggie that can be dipped!!