Do not let the name of this recipe steer you away if you do not like blue cheese or are scared of the idea of grilling lettuce. I myself am big fan of both, but I understand if you’re not immediately on board. Hear me out, this dressing is rich and decadent and bonus busy mom points - it comes together in a snap! If you are already in love with blue cheese, or at least the salad dressing, this recipe will make you a homemade convert and you will never buy the bottled stuff again. My husband Jeff and my son Chandler have been licking their salad plates clean of this goodness going on 12+ years. While they’d be okay drinking it from the jar, I do make them put it on a vegetable. Vegetable of choice? Grilled romaine. As I mentioned before, we’re taking this salad where few salads have gone before, the grill. You might underestimate hearts of romaine, but trust me, they are mighty and can take the heat. This alternative method takes any romaine salad to a whole new level, try doing this for a caesar salad! Equally as delicious. The leaves get slightly charred, a little wilty (in a good way), and they take on a wonderful slightly smoky flavor that perfectly compliments your new favorite salad dressing - this one!
Not feeling up to grilling your lettuce? Try it on over a quartered head of iceberg lettuce topped with crumbled bacon, tomato, diced red onion and call it a wedge! Or throw it in a bowl surrounded by fresh veggies and call it a crudités platter, your guests will think you’re fancy.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk (1% is my preference but use what you like)
- 6 oz blue cheese, crumbled plus more for garnish on finished salad
- 1 1/2 tablespoons shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon of fresh cracked pepper, or more to taste
-3 hearts of romaine, washed + dried
-3 tablespoons olive oil
-salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Dressing: In a medium bowl add all your ingredients and stir to combine until fully mixed. You’ll want to use a spoon or rubber spatula for this, if using a whisk be wary of your blue cheese crumbles getting caught. Let chill in the fridge for at least a hour before serving. Dressing will last in the fridge for up to 10 days, but good luck seeing if you let it last that long.
-Salad: Pre-heat grill to medium heat.
Cut each romaine heart in half, patting the inside dry for optimal searing. If it is wet with water, your oil will not stick.
Drizzle each half of the romaine with roughly ½ a tablespoon of olive oil. Liberally season your romaine halves with salt and fresh cracked pepper. Once your grill is hot, lay each half cut side down so that the “outside” of the lettuce is facing you. Let grill for 2-3 minutes or until grill marks have formed. Pull lettuce off grill and place grilled-side up on a serving platter.
Generously drizzle salad dressing over grilled romaine and top with more blue cheese crumbles and fresh cracked pepper. Devour!